New York City Sexual Orientation Discrimination Attorneys
Despite a lack of any current federal law explicitly prohibiting discrimination in the workplace against a person for their sexual orientation, recent decisions by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission have found that discrimination against an employee because they are gay or lesbian is prohibited by Title VII when it constitutes discrimination on the basis of sexual stereotyping. EEOC has also recently held that discrimination against an employee because they are transgender is also prohibited by Title VII.
Unfortunately, despite these protections, employees working in New York City can face discrimination in the workplacebecause of their sexual orientation. While you may not know what legal action is available to you in such a situation, our legal team at Cary Kane believes that any employer who discriminates or allows such discrimination to occur should be held accountable for their actions.
New York’s Protections against Sexual Orientation Discrimination
While there are efforts in place currently to change federal law regarding sexual orientation discrimination, employees in New York do not have to fear that they are unprotected in the workplace when it comes to their sexual orientation. In New York City, employers are prohibited from treating employees unfairly due to their sexual orientation:
- Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act (SONDA) – passed in 2002, this law bans sexual orientation discrimination, based on a definition of sexual orientation as “heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, or asexuality, whether actual or perceived.”
- New York City Human Rights Law – this city ordinance provides protection based on both sexual orientation and sexual identity. This law also provides for a plaintiff’s attorneys fees to be paid by an employer found to have violated the law.
Contact an Experienced Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawyer
At Cary Kane LLP we understand the many difficulties that accompany being discriminated against for your sexual orientation. And we are here to help. If you have been subjected to sexual orientation discrimination in New York City, call (212) 868-6300 to find out how our team of compassionate attorneys can fight for you and your right to equal treatment in the workplace.
- Wrongful Termination
- State Labor Law Violations
- Employment Discrimination Law
- Sexual Harassment
- Race Discrimination
- Sex Discrimination
- Age Discrimination
- Religious Discrimination
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination
- Breach of Employment Agreements
- Negotiating or Reviewing Employment Contracts
- Severance Agreements
- Arbitration of Employment Agreements
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Unpaid Overtime or Wages
- Pension and ERISA
- Labor Unions
- Employee Benefits Plans
- Restaurant Tip Credit and Overtime
- Prohibited Discrimination Against the Unemployed
- Pregnancy Accommodation
- NLRA Worker’s Rights
- Arrests and Convictions Employment Discrimination